Thursday, July 22, 2010

Grandmother having what she said is plastic like hairs under skin need help and ideas?

My grandma is up and age. Recently she started to claim that she has these pastic like hairs just under her skin. My family and her doctors feel she has lost her mind one doctor tried to admit her to the pych. department in the hospital when my sister took her in after she scraped the top of her head making it bleed. I talked to my aunty she thought she could see hives or somthing on her skin. I do not live with my family and I over a 1000 miles from my Grandmother.


I talk to her on the phone often she is clear and seems to understand when she talks. Is it all possible that she does have the little hair type things. She doesn't seem crazy but I am afraid for her. I have asked her to move down with me rather or not she will I don't know. Please please help.

Grandmother having what she said is plastic like hairs under skin need help and ideas?
It sounds like she may be having tactile hallucinations. A number of things could cause this. She needs to be evaluated again. The first stop is for her to see a dermatologist to see if this is a physical problem. If he/she doesn't find anything physically wrong with her then they may refer her to a psychiatrist or a neurologist.
Reply:I think it is possible, I vaguely remember seeing something similar on TV. If she is actually seeing the plastic hairs, have her get a second opinion by a dermatologist. If it is just a feeling like there is plastic hairs it might be her nerve endings, in which case there are medications that can help with the discomfort. You mentioned possible hives, if they are little red bumps I would say its possibly the nerve endings being infected/inflamed. I hope that helps!

mayflower

No comments:

Post a Comment